Most people have either dated a co-worker or have thought about pursuing a co-worker, but there seems to be an underlying hesitance to do so because of the “sexual harassment” fear. It is perfectly okay to ask a co-worker on a date as long as you do not make them feel uncomfortable or imply that it will affect their status at the company. The reality is that it is very common for co-workers to date co-workers, managers to date employees, and CEO’s to date secretaries. Bill Gates even met his wife, Melinda French when she was a Microsoft employee.
Office Dating Guidelines
- Do NOT repeatedly ask the same co-worker to go on a date if they have said no once.
- Develop a personal relationship before you develop an office relationship. It takes an extra layer of due diligence on your potential mate if you share the same work environment. Be sure to know each other well prior to getting involved so you know the potential consequences.
- Start out slowly. You want to start the work-place relationship slowly because you do not want it ending on a sour note. If you get to know each other well and take things slowly in the beginning, the chances of a bad ending are lessened.
- Agree to set up relationship rules. A rule could include “no flirting at work”.
- Do not be afraid to address “sexual harassment”. It is always good to be open and honest when communicating. Talk about all issues that you might keep in the back of your mind.
- Be ready to address the rumors! Rumors of your work-place relationship will most likely get out. Be ready to address them with your employer if necessary but do not be afraid. Tell him/her the truth about the relationship and that you two will keep your relationship professional at the office. Make your employer feel as comfortable as possible with the relationship and everything should be fine.
- If you’d like to stay away from office dating all together and are interested in meeting single people, we are able to offer you a limited-time free account with SinglesNet. We have pre-screened them and they are a great site! Click here to take a free look.
Ready to meet some great people outside of the office?
Meet someone new through Detroit personals.
Not only can you access thousands of people here or in your area, but its free online dating! Find some smart and cheap date ideas if you are low on cash.