If you’ve chosen to work from home you are now going to be entering a transition, where you are now operating in an area that is naturally comfortable. Staying within your comfort zone is an easy way to foster intellectual and emotional growth, but unless you are prepared to sit down and work, you may also find that your results are less than what you are expecting.
Your home office should be a space that motivates you to succeed. The office should scream “when you’re here, work!” Most of all, your office should be a quiet, private place that is free from any major distractions. This means no pets, no kids, and no TV. Your office should be a space where you can focus on the tasks at hand.
- Buy furniture that is durable. Many pieces of office furniture are made from particle board. Stay away, as this type of furniture will fall apart quite quickly, leaving you high and dry and, potentially, without a desk.
- Set up your office separate from your home. Though your home office may be a room in your home, it should be an environment that is entirely separate from the rest of your home. Make sure that your family knows that when you’re working, you’re working. You still need to work to make an income, and you won’t be able to accomplish that if you are constantly distracted.
- Purchase separate phone, fax, and internet connections. Though it may seem to be most costly than simply piggybacking off of your current household resources, purchasing dedicated resources for your business give you the ability to write them off on your taxes, thereby negating their cost outright. And besides, it’s not as if you won’t be making personal calls on your company phone anyway.
- Set the mood. Unless you are selling scented candles and incense there is no point in having scented candles everywhere. Keep your office as professional as possible, yet be sure to include some relaxing cues. Your work environment should be both comfortable as well as inspirational – it should encourage creativity, productivity, and efficiency.
Recommended Downloads For Success:
- Free Business Cards.
- Free Business Plan Template.